Planning and Zoning Development Procedures

Scroll to the bottom of this page for: 
"General Information about Development in Ridgefield"

Planning & Zoning Commission, Zoning, and Architectural Review 

(Click "Inland Wetlands Board", above, for regulations and applications for wetlands permits.)

Many of our permit applications and checklists of requirements are available on-line. Please scroll down to see if you can locate the information you need, or call the P&Z Office at 431-2766.

Other helpful links:
- FAQs - SHEDS on Residential Properties
Fee Schedule - Planning and Zoning and ZEO Applications 
Table of Residential Bulk Requirements
Water Company Notification for Inland Wetlands Applications
Water Company Notification for Planning and Zoning Commission Applications


Per Town of Ridgefield Zoning Regulation Section 3.3.B.2, an ADU must be designed to preserve and maintain the single-family residential appearance of the subject lot and be consistent with the singlefamily character of the neighborhood. For ADUs within or attached to the principal dwelling, maintenance of the exterior appearance of the principal dwelling shall be required. Any secondary entrance (for the ADU) shall be required to be incorporated into the principal residence to reflect the architectural style of a single-family dwelling.  The Town encourages property owners to create affordable ADUs by deed-restricting the ADU to be rented at an affordable rate as defined in the Connecticut General Statutes Section 8-30g, for a period of at least 10 years.

Please see Zoning Regulation Section 3.3.B.2 and 3.3.B.3 for more information.

Submit an Online Development Application to request authorization to perform the necessary construction for the ADU. Attach a copy of the issued ADU Zoning Permit to the Development Application.

There are two sets of regulations for aquifer protection in the Town of Ridgefield. First, the town regulates development in aquifers defined on a map entitled "Public Water Supply Protection Zones," adopted in 2020. This map depicts several stratified drift aquifers, with large areas defined in the area of Routes 7 and 35 and northeast Ridgefield, North Salem Road from the town center to Mamanasco Lake, and areas east of the town center. There are smaller areas defined in Branchville and north of the High School. Development is permitted in these areas, under the restrictions found in Sec. 6.2 of the zoning regulations. The second set of aquifer regulations is administered by the Aquifer Protection Agency (same members as the  Inland Wetlands Board) and restricts development in a state-defined aquifer known as the Oscaleta Well Fields, located in the vicinity of Oreneca, Rippowam and Oscaleta Roads. The State protects aquifers that belong to water companies serving 1,000 customers or more. Links to regulations for both locally-defined and state-defined aquifers are found below, in addition to a link for the map showing the Oscaleta Well Fields. 

The Architectural Advisory Committee acts in an advisory capacity and reviews the design of all construction that requires a Special Permit from the Planning and Zoning Commission, and signs in excess of 10 square feet. The AAC has been designated by the Commission as the Village District Consultant (VDC) for review of all applications for exterior change in the Central Business District (designated as a Village District under Sec. 8-2j of the State statutes). This includes color changes, all signs, and any exterior construction or remodeling. Requirements for Architectural and Village District Review can be found in Sec. 8.3 of the zoning Regulations.

If you need review of Special Permit construction outside of the Village District (downtown Ridgefield), use the application form for Request for Architectural Review. If your property is within the Village District (CBD zone), you will need the Village District Review Application for any exterior change and for any sign. Go the links below for the applications and information:

A certificate of Zoning Compliance is provided to a property owner when work authorized under a Development Permit (building permit) has been completed in compliance with the original Zoning Permit. Look on your Zoning Permit (issued at the beginning of the building process) to see what is required for compliance (e.g., A-2 as-built survey, lot coverage or floor area calculations, proof of compliance with setbacks, etc.). Submit this information to the P&Z office to request review of your project for zoning compliance, or call 431-2766 if you need additional information. (You will need to make a separate call to the Building Department at 431-2743, after you have received Zoning Compliance, in order to request the Certificate of Occupancy.)

The Zoning Enforcement Officer, upon written request, can issue a letter to verify certain zoning compliance issues. Send your request in writing to the ZEO at the Town Hall Annex, or call 431-2768 if you need additional information. A $25 fee is required.

Applications to change the use of a commercial space (for example, from a retail store to an office use) may be issued by the Zoning Enforcement Officer if (1) the use is permitted as-of-right in the zone, (2) there is no increase in floor area, and (3) there is no increase in the parking requirements. If you are not sure about whether a particular use is permitted, or whether it can be approved under a zoning permit, call the ZEO at 431-2768. Changes proposing or requiring increased parking will need a Site Plan Approval from the Director of Planning (see "Site Plan Application," below) and changes proposing new floor area will require review under a Special Permit from the Planning and Zoning Commission (see "Special Permit" below). The Change of Use permit application is available by submitted online by clicking the following link:

Change of Use Application

Change of Use Checklist


Pursuant to Public Acts 05-124 and 10-85, codified as Sections 47-42a-d in the Connecticut General Statutes, anyone intending to file an application for exterior work with a “state, local land use agency, local building official or director of health” is required to send notice of the application to the holder of any Conservation Easements or Preservation Easements existing on the subject property, prior to the submission of any land use application for activity within the easement area on the parcel.  

This notification requirement shall apply to any proposed permit application to the Planning and Zoning Commission, Inland Wetlands Board or Agent, Zoning Board of Appeals, Wetlands application, Planning and Zoning Commission application and/or Development Permit for proposed exterior work within the easement area. The notification can be coordinated through the Planning and Zoning Department, so that the Ridgefield Conservation Commission, Land Conservancy, Historical Society, or other easement holder (or its designated agent) has an opportunity to review the plans.

The federal government requires that individual communities regulate all development within Special Flood Hazard Areas (SFHAs) as shown on Flood Insurance Rate Maps (FIRMs) prepared by the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA).  Requirements for federal insurance are determined by the existence of 100-year flood plains (floods that have a 1% chance of occurring in any one year, or once in 100 years). FIRMs are available for inspection in the Planning and Zoning Office.  Regulations for floodplain development are found in Sec. 6.1 (Floodplain Overlay Zone) and in Sec. 11 (Floodplain Management Regulations). Homeowners can petition the federal government for a "map amendment" if flood insurance is required, if proof can be provided that the maps are incorrect (see information on "Elevation Certificate"). Links for floodplain development application forms, regulations and information about the Elevation Certificate are included below.

Home occupations are permitted on three different levels:
(1)  "As-of-right" as a home-based business, where there are no employees and no more than 20% of the home is used for the business, and where there are no retail sales on the premises nor storage of stock in trade;
(2)  Requiring a Zoning Permit as a minor home occupation, where there may be no more than one nonresident employee, a maximum of 25% of the home may be used for the business, and where there are no retail sales on the premises nor storage of stock in trade; and 
(3)  Requiring a Special Permit for a Major Home Occupation, where the limitations of 1 and 2 above are exceeded.

Home occupations are explained in more detail in Sec. 2.2 of the zoning regulations (Definitions - under "Home-Based Business Related Terms"), and in Sec. 3.3 (Accessory Uses) of the zoning regulations. Also check the link below, or scroll down for "Special Permits."

Excavation activities are covered under Sec. 7.5 in the zoning regulations. It is suggested that you contact the Zoning Enforcement Officer at 431-2768 to determine the appropriate permit requirements. Up to 99 cubic yards of excavation is permitted "as-of-right", and 100-499 cubic yards of stand-alone excavation (not connected to another type of construction permit, such as for an addition, swimming pool, septic system, utility installation, etc.) can be authorized by the Zoning Enforcement Officer under a Zoning Permit. Excavation in excess of 500 cubic yards usually requires a Special Permit from the Planning and Zoning Commission. There are other requirements and some exemptions for excavation related to pond dredging. Special Permit construction (commercial buildings), and subdivision work. Rock crushing, processing and screening must be reviewed by the Planning and Zoning Commission under a Special Permit. The Zoning Permit application for excavation can be found at the following link: 

Excavation, Filling and Grading (Zoning Permit)
(See below for Special Permits)

Permits for signs are issued by the Zoning Enforcement Officer. There are special provisions for exempt signs (check zoning regulations in Sec. 7.2.C) for things like traffic control, historic structures, political signs, real estate signs (with some restrictions), and signs located on the premises of non-profit facilities (such as libraries, churches, historical societies, museums and schools), for special events, for charitable events, fund-raising, seasonal events, etc. Temporary signs for businesses need zoning permits, and can be displayed for two weeks, but for no more than 4 times per calendar year. Permanent signs over 10 square feet in size need to be reviewed by the Architectural Advisory Committee, and all signs in the Village District need to be reviewed by the Village District Consultant.

Sign regulations can be complicated, but regulations adopted by the Commission on 5/1/07 were greatly improved; call the Planning and Zoning Office at 431-2766, and speak to the Zoning Enforcement Officer if needed, when you have questions about signs. Helpful links below:


Special Permits are required for many of the uses in the Business zones, for major home occupations, for accessory structures and uses in the "front yard" of residences, for institutional, recreational and municipal uses, and for accessways to "rear" lots.  Requirements for Special Permits can be found in Sec. 9.2.A of the zoning regulations. The Commission is required to consider Special Permit uses in accordance with strict standards (listed in the regulations) to ensure that the use is appropriate for the location, and to consider how it will "fit in" with the surrounding neighborhood. Forms, fee schedules, and checklists are linked below:              

The Planning and Zoning Commission reviews applications for subdivision of land into three or more lots. A link to the Subdivision Regulations is found below, as well as the Subdivision Application Packet. Meetings with the Planner and the Zoning Enforcement Officer, and a "pre-application" meeting with Town staff is recommended prior to submission of any subdivision application to the Commission.

ZONE CHANGES (Zoning Map Amendments)

The Planning and Zoning Commission can amend its own regulations and map, or an applicant can "petition" the Commission for changes. Procedures for regulation amendments and zoning map amendments can be found in Sec. 9.2.B and 9.2.Cof the zoning regulations. Forms, fees, and checklists can be found at the following links:

(Click on "Inland Wetlands Board" at the top of this page.)


 within the Town of Ridgefield is regulated by two elected municipal agencies, the Inland Wetlands Board and the Planning and Zoning Commission

It is highly recommended that anyone contemplating development within the Town of Ridgefield contact the Director of Planning at the project’s inception and during the planning stages (call 431-2766 for the Office Administrator).

Within the State of Connecticut, development procedures and timetables must be rigorously observed. In many instances, project development applications submitted to the Planning and Zoning Commission or the Inland Wetlands Board require that regional planning agencies or abutting municipalities be notified and this adds to the timeframe and procedure for review. There have been instances where applicants have been required to seek variances from the Zoning Board of Appeals in advance of presenting applications to the Planning and Zoning Department.

The Planning and Zoning Department typically holds pre-application review sessions on major developments and subdivisions, allowing the applicant to gain valuable input from a variety of Town officials prior to preparing and submitting final plans to the Planning and Zoning Commission and the Inland Wetlands Board. The Town Engineer, Health Department, Building Department, Police Commission, Fire Marshal, Highway Department and the Conservation Commission comment on the proposals. This is most helpful in resolving major issues in advance of the submission of formal applications. While this recommended step adds time to the development process (about 4 to 5 weeks), the benefits have proven to be rewarding to both the applicant and the Town, often shortening the time for formal review of the application in front of the Planning and Zoning Commission.  

It is incumbent upon the applicant to allow sufficient time to complete the application and approval process. Land use staff can provide assistance and support throughout the review process, but Connecticut State statutory time schedules cannot be altered. Review time varies according to the size and complexity of the proposed projects.

Recommended Development Procedure:


  1. Contact the Director of Planning & Zoning and schedule a meeting to discuss details relative to project proposals. The Director of Planning & Zoning can be contacted by phone at (203) 431-2766.
  2. Continue meeting and/or communicating with Town staff during the preparation of site plans and development schemes.
  3. File all technical information, maps and documentation for the pre-application review process (no application or fees at this time).
  4. Attend the pre-application review session.
  5. Implement recommended changes and resubmit the complete application and fees for formal acceptance by the Planning and Zoning Commission and/or the Inland Wetland Board, depending on the appropriate jurisdiction.